Wednesday 17 August 2011

Re-Designing: Part Two

In this part I tackled the Nando's packaging project. I applied the design spiral once again and asked the question again What do I want the design to do?


Fit together in a structurally sound way
Save space
Create a pattern
Open up interestingly


By using asknature.org once again and from previous research I had done on Biomimicry I started with the structure.


Structure


Beehives and cells serves as a hexagonal structure


The beehive's internal structure is a densely-packed matrix of hexagonal cells made of beeswax, called a honeycomb. The bees use the cells to store food (honey and pollen), and to house the "brood" (eggs, larvae, and pupae).


Whether we look into beehives, man-made devices, living tissues or even atoms we can find surprising examples of a characteristic hexagonal pattern. We call it hexagonal close packing and it is in fact most effective to pack the largest number of objects in a minimum space.



Using the beehive as inspiration this is what I have produced.

Results:

The images below are examples of the flat designs of the packaging. You will notice that I didn't change much of the design style because I thought that it was successful in that respect. The only thing that I did do was update it somewhat and tidy up the end result.


Pop Your Cherry


Have Him Anyday Not Just Sunday


Split That Banana

Below is an image of a scaled down version of the package mocked-up. The hexagons fit perfectly together. If these packages were produced and packed up for distribution they would be able to fit a large amount of objects together in a minimum amount of space.

No comments:

Post a Comment