Thursday 4 August 2011

Re-Designing: Part One

In the previous post I spoke about some of the ideas I had started to think about with regards to Biomimicry in Graphic Design. I decided to focus on the project titled peep. I went back to the Design Spiral and asked myself the question: What do I want the design to do?


I want it to...


Glow in the dark
Camouflage itself
Be discreet but pretty
Reflect light
Automated
Hidden in plain sight


With the following things in mind I started to research these verbs on www.asknature.org which is a brilliant resource of all things Biomimetic. The two things that stood out for me was camouflage and hidden in plain sight.


Camouflage

Stripes serve as long-distance camouflage: lionfish

The stripes on a lionfish serve as camouflage by breaking up the outline of the fish when viewed from afar.


This form of camouflage got me thinking about how I can apply this technique to a business card or any form of corporate stationery.

Results:

The images below are examples of a business card front and back using the vanishing lines camouflage.




The image below is what the business card looks like without the lines placed on top of it.


This particular vanishing lines camouflage can be used in analog animation. Which requires the person the shift a transparent black lined sheet over an image made up of arbitrary lines to create an animation that moves or stays in the same place. Below are some examples of the analog animation using the concept of vanishing lines in a lion fish to animate a piece of paper. I have animated the key hole from the previous corporate identity as well as the logo and an image of some strippers. The business card may very well look like something completely random until the sheet is placed over the image and the animation comes to life. This is best demonstrated by the key hole animation.


 Below: The black and white grid



Above: The unrecognisable image that needs to be animated



Above: The animated key hole

The following examples are where I have applied the camouflage line technique in a more obvious way.

Below: The logo animated by shifting the grid over it.




Above: Various stripper poses being animated.


Above: An image of what it looks like beneath the grid.


I think the current experimentation is heading in a good direction now I need to find another way of doing a similar thing but still using biomimetics. I also still want the business card to fold up or disguise itself in a way that mimics nature.

...Sheena...

No comments:

Post a Comment